Skip to content
Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv, plafond, photo Dorota Janiszewska-Jakubiak, 2018, all rights reserved
Źródło: Repozytorium Instytutu Polonika
Fotografia przedstawiająca Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv
Vault frescoes in the Jesuit Church in Lviv, all rights reserved
Fotografia przedstawiająca Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv
Vault frescoes in the Jesuit Church in Lviv, all rights reserved
Fotografia przedstawiająca Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv
Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv, photo Dorota Janiszewska-Jakubiak, 2018, all rights reserved
Źródło: Repozytorium Instytutu Polonika
Fotografia przedstawiająca Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv
Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv, photo Dorota Janiszewska-Jakubiak, 2018, all rights reserved
Źródło: Repozytorium Instytutu Polonika
Fotografia przedstawiająca Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv
Former St Peter and Paul Church in Lviv, restoration work, photo Dorota Janiszewska-Jakubiak, 2018, all rights reserved
Źródło: Repozytorium Instytutu Polonika
Fotografia przedstawiająca Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv
Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv, photo Dorota Janiszewska-Jakubiak, 2018, all rights reserved
Źródło: Repozytorium Instytutu Polonika
Fotografia przedstawiająca Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv
 Submit additional information
ID: POL-000475-P

Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv

ID: POL-000475-P

Former Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv

Lviv | Ukraine | obwód lwowski
ukr. Львів
Variants of the name:
Dawny klasztor Jezuitów obecnie greckokatolicka świątynia garnizonowa

The post-Jesuit Church of St Peter and St Paul in Lviv. Although the Jesuits arrived in Lviv in 1854 and opened a college in 1608, it was not until 1610 that they were able to start building their own temple. The Barkov temple was built thanks to the foundation of Elżbieta Sieniawska, wife of Prokop Sieniawski, court marshal of the Crown. The architect was Giacomo Briano, whose design was kept in the type of buildings referring to the Roman church Il Gesù. Construction of the church was completed in 1630, but work on the interior decoration continued until around 1660. A tower was added to the church in the early 18th century.

A fire in 1734 partially destroyed the church, which was rebuilt in the second half of the 1830s. At that time, Franz Eckstein, the author of, among other things, the fresco on the vault of the nave, was employed to decorate the church; his son Sebastian continued the work after his death. In the mid-1740s Sebastian Fesinger realised the main altar, and in the following years the side altars were erected. Between 1744 and 1746 Franz Ekstein and his son Sebastian, executed the frescoes on the vault of the nave. In 1773 Clement XIV officially abolished the Society of Jesus, its activities were restored in 1814, and it returned to Lviv in 1820.

The 19th century brought first of all the demolition of the - threatening to collapse - bonds of the church.Its activity was restored by the dissolution of the order. After 1945, the church was closed and turned into a book warehouse. Since 2011, it has housed a Greek Catholic garrison church. Since 2015, restoration work has been underway in it, co-financed by the Polonica Institute since 2018.

Author:
Bartłomiej Gutowski
see more Text translated automatically

Related objects

1
Show on page:
8 24 72

Related projects

1
Program Strategiczny OCHRONA polskiego dziedzictwa kulturowego za granicą Show
The website uses cookies. By using the website you agree to the use of cookies.   See more